March has been
and we all
first ever Feast
Day of Saint
Joseph at 555
With Joseph as
Saint, this day
meaning for us.
us of our
mission to care
for our homeless
Mass and enjoyed
meal, topped off
for dessert. The
entire meal was
donated by a
Washer and Dryer
||Thanks to the generosity of the W.W. Smith Charitable Trust, Joseph's House has a brand new industrial washer and dryer set. We're so grateful to the foundation for their support. Our new washer uses HE detergent ONLY, and we've been advised that the pre-measured detergent "pods" provide the perfect amount of detergent to keep our new washer running smoothly. If you plan on donating laundry detergent please make sure it is HE. Thank you!
10 Things You
- The estimated number has decreased more than 30% over the last 5 years.
- Most are male but about 8% are female.
- Forty percent are African American or Hispanic.
- Forty percent are between the ages of 31 and 50.
- One-third were stationed in war zones and 2/3 served for at least 3 years.
- Lack of support and housing puts about 1.4 million at risk for homelessness.
- More than 40,000 receive some form of compensation benefits that are insufficient to cover affordable housing.
- They are twice as likely to become chronically homeless than other Americans.
- More than 50% suffer from disabilities and 2/3 have substance abuse issues.
- They are homeless on average for more than 6 years.